Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Starting Over

I can't believe it's been 2 years since I've posted on here. Time flies, eh? There was the divorce, then the move, and now a new job. The usual.

I wanted to scrap all of this, and start from scratch. However, one of my few readers, a long time ago, told me to keep the stuff on here for posterity. A remembrance of what I used to think. I think he was right. I can be reminded of how nuts I am. Besides, I'm thinking of going back and doing "Revisit" articles on some of my old stuff. In any case, I have a few final decisions:

I'm just going to play OD&D with some house rules, maybe AD&D on occasion. There is no need to make my own game. There's already so many out there. I've also realized that it has nothing to do with the rules.

The beauty of old school D&D, especially OD&D, is that you can use any material with it, because there are so few rules to get in the way. I know, enough people have written about that, so I'll save the speech. Long story short, when I get on into the OSR it was a time when everyone was making their own game, and I just thought it would be really cool to contribute my own little piece to the gaming world. Instead, I realize I have lot better stuff to share.

For example, I'm working on a Martial Arts system that can be slipped into anyone's campaign. Hopefully I'll be writing about it soon, but it's basically just a Feat system you can purchase with gold, instead of XP. It solves a lot of the problems I (and others) have with most Feat and character customization systems out there. It's also a nice aesthetic for it, and inline with my original "Techniques" system I made for Arcane Adventures. Finally, it gives me a martial arts system for an RPG that isn't too complex.

What else have I been up to? I have a couple cool settings I'm working on. One is Viking-Samurai, which I'm really surprised no one else has done yet. The other is an Enchanted Isle, with an Enchanted Forest. Definitely going to be going to Majestic Wilderlands, Isle of Unknown, Dreamlands, and of course King Arthur and other classic Fairy Tale settings for inspiration.

I had a lot I wanted to write about when I was at work today, but it seems I forgot most of it. It's okay, my handy dandy notebook is usually on me to jot down ideas.

In any case, I just plan on sharing cool ideas, and maybe a few commentaries from now, like most of the other OSR guys. Hopefully I remember to keep writing.

Happy Gaming guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment