Monday, January 9, 2017

My Current OD&D House Rules

At the bottom of the post you'll find my current OD&D house rules, however first a word on how I got there.

For the last couple of days I've been giving much consideration to what my current set of house rules will look like. I had come to a decision that all classes would be functions of; Hit Dice, Attack Ability, Saving Throws, Spell ability, and Weapons & Armor Proficiency. This sounds like a lot when written out, but the key point here is: no special class abilities. This was my conclusion after re-reading my (DIY reproduction) copies of the LBB's.

If you look at White Box D&D, most of the rules are simply the above stated factors. The Cleric gets his Turn Undead (which I've never liked), and that's the only special class ability that looks anything like later class functions. There are skills, in the Referee's section, but they are limited and simple (which I like). If you think about it, the above mentioned functions are more than enough variation to make a mechanically interesting game.

I'll still be keeping my game along those lines. However what I was starting to do was veer close to AD&D. I thought it would be very simple to redo all of the AD&D classes in that fashion. Rangers would be a Fighter with more attacks, that are simply less accurate and less powerful. The Rogue/Thief could be handled similarly with no skills. Bards & Paladins would simply get spells as their special abilities (the Bard would replace the AD&D Illusionist).

The more I kept going along this train of thought though, it just felt like I was making AD&D light. Which isn't necessarily a bad idea. As I've said before, I'd like to do that, and I think I will one day. Let me know quote Geoffrey (of Carcosa fame) though:

"I kept re-inventing the wheel. Whether it was animals, giant animals, weapon types, etc. I kept finding it already done in AD&D.

In regards to 1970s-era AD&D, I do not think of it as fundamentally different than OD&D.

Which works better for Carcosa, OD&D or AD&D? I'd say whichever the DM would prefer. OD&D requires/allows for more re-inventing the wheel. (How may hit dice does a sabre-tooth cat have?) AD&D allows for more out-of-the-box play.

Sure, I still use stuff from the original Carcosa book in my campaign along with all the stuff in the modules. I didn't specifically refer to it in my four AD&D Carcosa modules because I didn't want anybody to think, "What!? Ihave to buy a $45 book before I can use this module! Man, was I jipped!" So you certainly can use the old Carcosa book with the modules, but doing is is 100% optional."

     - Geoffrey (Carcosa) on the OD&D Forum

With that in mind, I think it's best to just play OD&D, as OD&D. I'll post my AD&D light rules later, or at least the concept of them. The following, now, will be what my current OD&D House Rules are.

Current OD&D House Rules


At some future date, I will hopefully post a copy of a cleaned up document, similar to my Arcane Grimoire, which should still be up for download at the left.

Ability scores range from 3-18, with a score of 15+ granting a +1 in relevant areas: Strength can apply to attack and damage rolls. Dexterity can affect ranged attack rolls, and armor class. Constitution affects hit points gained per level. All scores will affect saving throws (taken from Castles & Crusades). Finally, Charisma will determine party leader.

There are four Classes: Fighter, Ranger, Paladin (Cleric), and Wizard (Magic-User). Fighter and Wizard are as they appear in White Box, except the Fighter has a d10 hit die.

Paladins will be included as the Cleric, but will essentially function as the Cleric. Since I'm probably just going to save myself some time and use the AD&D 1E spells, the Paladin will use that spell progression, but starting at 2nd level. They will be restricted to chain mail armor, but be allowed any weapon, and have a d8 hit die. This will give a nice distribution for armor and hit dice. They will not have a turn undead ability. Also I'm using the name Paladin just because I like the word better.

The Ranger will be included as my fourth class because I've started to loath Thieves, but I still like the idea of an agile class. The Ranger will be restricted to leather armor, be allowed any weapon, and have a d6 hit die. Rangers will be the only class to dual wield, allowing the (modern) expected two attacks per turn. With ranged weapons Rangers will get two attacks per turn.

As for Attack and Saving Throw Matrices, I'll be using Swords & Wizardry White Box, so the classes will most likely get their appropriately corresponding statistics.

The biggest reason for the above class changes is to simplify weapons and armor restrictions. I'd rather just let any class use any weapon (except the Wizard for obvious reasons), and then have them vary via the much simpler armor restrictions. Over all I don't think any of the above is too drastic of a change, and I think it will give me the game I want to run.

Honestly the class changes are the most drastic, and important to note. However, below are the rest of my thoughts at the moment, in a sort of miscellaneous fashion:


  • "Magic" weapon bonuses only affect damage rolls, not to hit. This is to simplify things.
  • Hit Dice will be rolled as best of two (roll two hit dice each level, taking the higher roll).
  • Stealth is a function of party tactics. No class has a stealth ability; instead the entire party must work together to gain any effect to "surprise". Waiting in ambush (if they somehow have gained knowledge of the enemy, without the enemy being aware of the party) will grant a 4 in 6 (66%) chance of surprise.
  • Common adventuring tasks can be checked as X in 6 chance, or corresponding percent (%) check. I will keep a list of common tasks (I'll share those later hopefully) and chances, recording new ones as I make rulings, or find them in various rule books. (I'll be checking OD&D, AD&D, Palladium, and Runequest leisurely.)
  • All monster statistics will be determined as stated in my previous posts (simple Armor Class).
  • No monsters will have paralysis abilities; it's boring and adds nothing to game play.
  • Treasure is handled as in Swords & Wizardry; 2 - 4 times the XP value of an encounter; with a 50% chance of any encounter having treasure. Planned encounters being the exception. I'm considering a lower percent chance for wandering monsters.
  • Magic items will be checked for separately from treasure. Treasure hordes above 1,000 gold pieces will have a 10% chance for magic items. Perhaps a higher percent with larger hoards.
  • Magic classes will not be able to make scrolls. I think they get enough spells per day, and players have a predisposition to make fireball spells at higher levels.
  • Critical Hits are maximum damage, not double.
  • Any spells that have a duration are simply save till pass. This includes damage, or paralysis. (This one will need the most play testing, I'm sure)
  • Spells and Magic Items taken from AD&D 1E. This is just to save time, and because I do still love AD&D.

I think that's it for now. I don't think that's quite too much. 

Stay Zen my friends.




No comments:

Post a Comment