Friday, May 9, 2014

MicrOD&D - Arcane Adventures?

I know I'm updating every 5 minutes, but that's kind of what's cool about the Microlite20 structure; you see the game unfold very quickly, because you're not busy writing a novel. Anyway, on to the point.

As I go through this, I see that I'm not cloning OD&D at all, and I don't think I want to, or that I need to. I'm starting to view this more like a Blood & Treasure or Basic Fantasy style game, just geared more towards OD&D than B/X or 3E. So yeah, very much an OD&D inspired game.

There are a few things that are really making this more OD&D inspired. Just like Microlite20, and to a less extent Basic Fantasy, I'm definitely keeping my focus on making a simple, rules-light game; I'm not so concerned with the retro-aspect or emulation. Right now I'm thinking of including AD&D spells instead of OD&D spells, and just including like five per spell level. This is to keep things simple, and so I can include some of the more iconic spells like Magic Missile, which didn't come out until Greyhawk. I still might change my mind, but we'll see.

The point being, I'm really liking how this is turning out. I'm utilizing the simplicity of OD&D, to make a clean role playing game instead of emulating OD&D for the sake of emulation; or starting from scratch like Microlite20.

No comments:

Post a Comment