Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Basic Fantasy - My D&D NEXT

Really quick lets get one thing out of the way first. I'm talking about a hypothetical "D&D NEXT". I'm talking about my preferred system, or the "best D&D", or any of that. I'm talking about a game, that everyone can sit down and play, and you can adjust the level of complexity, and easily convert/use material from any edition with (basically what we we're promised). I do believe, and I know many others believe, that old school D&D (whatever version you play), is fine just as it is, and we don't need another version of the game. However, the cat is out of the bag, 3rd and 4th edition already exist. This is just a hypothetical, "for fun", thought experiment. If the hypothetical is accomplishing the goals set out for D&D NEXT, then making a game 3E and 4E guys can enjoy is part of that goal.

I don't recall if I've discussed Basic Fantasy before, but check it out. It's awesome. Essentially someone took Basic D&D (B/X), added ascending armor class, and separated race and class. This is what D&D NEXT should have looked like. Regardless of personal opinion and feelings, I say this as someone who outright prefers OD&D. I don't even like B/X really. However I can acknowledge, that Basic Fantasy is a game anyone who's played D&D can recognize, and it's pretty much the perfect middle ground.

Since race and class are separate, you're able to expand it to be like AD&D (in fact there are several AD&D classes available, and more). It's got ascending armor class, so the 3E/4E guys can get into it easy. It's a simple, "light", rule set that lets anybody jump in, and allows old school play. Because it's so light though, it can handle tinkering, and adding extra rules (there's tons of supplements on the web).

I've talked about how Blood & Treasure is basically what I originally intended for Arcane Adventures. Well I have played it, and it's lots of fun, but there are a few changes I don't like, and would have handled differently. Namely skills as saving throws. If you go that route, I would have kept a single saving throw like Swords & Wizardry, and just added specific class/race bonuses to specific situations. I like that better, which is also one of the reasons I keep playing S&W, instead of some other clone, but I digress.

Basic Fantasy, isn't exactly how I'd make D&D NEXT. I think there are a couple things you could do to bridge the gap. I'd either offer, or implement a d20 style target number or DC20 skill system for thieves. Lots of old school guys (even OD&D guys) have done that for their house rules. I know that might encourage what some would call bad playing habits, but that's neither here nor there (include the usual blurb about "role-play" versus "roll-play".

I've also seen a few guys add in the Reflex/Will/Fortitude saving throw system. I'd personally keep it to target numbers because that's easier, but having a straight DC20 isn't a bad idea either (though I'd end up pre-calculating it, coming up with target numbers). Though actual D&D NEXT uses the Castles & Crusades system of Attribute Saving throws, which I really like (in fact I use it for Swords & Wizardry). I'd prefer that actually, so maybe that's what I'd do. It's simpler, and all encompassing.

If we took those ideas, and added them into Basic Fantasy, or even made a system just like it, I think we'd have a game everyone could enjoy. What's great is Basic Fantasy covers game play up to 20th level. You could also release modules or supplements just like they already have for Basic Fantasy to turn it into whatever game you want.

From a business and development standpoint, I'd never change these rules. I'd turn D&D into a legacy game, like Risk or Monopoly. Every few years I might revamp the cover art, or change the layout, but I'd always keep this core set of rules. Toss it in a pretty box, add some dice and graph paper and you've got a regular game you can sell at Walmart and Target.

From there, every so often, when I've release enough material to make it worth it, you make an "Advanced Compendium" type product, that collects all of the class/race/character options into one place for you. You can do this all of the time, and update and change that all you want, without messing with the core system.

Will I actually make what I'm talking about? Maybe. It'd be really easy, because I just outlined all of it. However, do I really need it? Probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment