Sunday, May 11, 2014

Compatibility & Simplicity

Something I really like about Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox and Microlite20 is that they are generally compatible with anything D&D. There's usually some small level of conversion, but there always is. One thing I'm going to try and do with my project is to keep this concept. I want a D&D where I can use everything, or nothing. That's why what I'm really thinking this is going to be at first is a Microlite rendition of OD&D. I already know there is a Microlite OD&D (Microlite74), so I guess I should say a "Minimalist OD&D".

I don't want to restrict myself to purely OD&D however, mostly because that's not possible. However I don't want to add much (if anything) at first, unless it serves to simplify or increase compatbility (IE single saving throw ala S&W WhiteBox). Honestly the above the link is the best defense as to why an OD&D retroclone is futile. What I really want is something that truly captures the spirit of OD&D, and keeps enough of it's rules to really feel like it. Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox does that pretty well, but it keeps a lot of the idiosyncrasies from OD&D, while ditching some of the more useful information (like finding secret doors, or how to actually stock a dungeon).

I just remembered the other point I'm wanting to make is that I'm going to try and avoid gimmicks as much as possible. I don't mean that negatively, as some of them are really cool - like Microlite20's skill system or Castles & Crusades SIEGE engine. Those are both really cool, innovative mechanics that can cover any situation. In light of the early days, when making a retroclone seemed risky, I understand the reason behind such decisions. However I feel at this point, there is no reason we can't take the rules that are already there, extrapolate and expand upon them, and make an awesome, never-ending role playing game. This really could have been done at any point with a previous TSR version of D&D (or even WOTC editions), and there are some great examples of this. 2E AD&D was really just everything they made for 1E shoved in one book, with a few tweeks.

A better example, and perhaps the best example I can think of is the Rules Cyclopedia. It is almost everything that was ever made for Basic D&D shoved into one awesome compendium of adventure. This is more or less what I want for my game. Basic has been through a few revisions, but how many of them have drastically changed the rules. It's arguable never, from what I can tell BECMI and B/X only differ stylistically (I could be wrong though), and the transition from Holmes to B/X could be argued as not a transition at all.


Anyway, back to working on the game itself. Hopefully someone likes what I make, if not I'll have a ton of gaming material for myself to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment