Thursday, February 13, 2014

Dry Language and Creativity

Haven't posted in a while, partly because I've been disheartened, and partly because I've felt a little stupid lately. I've had a lot of time to actually play D&D lately, and a few other table top games. Needless to say some of my paradigms have been shifted, and others reinforced. One area that has been really reinforced is that we don't need another retroclone. I've already started to clean up a bit, but I'm going to continue, so don't be surprised if a lot of older posts get deleted. I know no-one really reads my blog, but just in case this is here as a why and warning.

I know it might seem hypocritical, or even cowardly to go-back on what I used to say or think, but I can admit I used to be wrong, misinformed, or just not informed enough. Therefore any post expressing harsh opinions, or most anything related to me writing my own game is probably going to be deleted. It's not necessary, it doesn't add anything of value to the discussion, and is just taking up space on the web. Furthermore, after getting into some really deep talks with a good friend of mine, I've mellowed out on my opinions quite a bit. I still have my opinions, but I have no desire to shove them down anyone's throat.

Anyway, one thing that's definitely been reinforced is my love for old school D&D, and OD&D in particular. I've played a lot of D&D NEXT and 3E/Pathfinder lately. I hate it. I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion here, but I just don't have much fun playing those games. Having fun definitely comes down to the group and the referee, and I've had fun with my friends, but that's definitely despite the game. There is just too much stuff in newer D&D games. From racial and class abilities, to rules and combat, it's just too much.

Now I'm currently working on a fun little project I might post soon, and I was reading through my LBB's and realized something I love about them: the dry language. I know it seems funny, because everyone in the OSR loves to espouse how much flavor and creativity is found in old school D&D. What I mean is the dry language of the rules. OD&D has flavor where it needs it: spells, monsters, dungeon examples, but doesn't attempt to present the rules lavishly. There's practically no description of what a dwarf is, only noting the abilities that make it special to play. This is great because it lets the Referee and players decide what a dwarf is to them. Have they read Tolkien? Do they prefer German mythology?

Furthermore OD&D doesn't talk down to the player. There is no need to state that "strength is a combination of muscle and power", because it is assumed that if you're going to be playing a game about creativity and imagination, you know what strength is. "Strength" is the flavor, the mechanics are presented in a short, succinct manner, noting only what affects the game.

What I'm currently working on is a sort of "hack" of Microlite20 an excellent rules light role-playing game based around the d20 system. It's obviously intended for experienced gamers, just as OD&D was intended for experienced war gamers. Of course it's language is even shorter and to the point than OD&D, taking advantage of common gaming formulas and abbreviations.

Microlite20 is great because it provides everything you need to play D&D, so you're free to add in the things that are important to you. I find myself naturally filling in my own descriptions and wording. With all of the previous projects I've done, whether using the SRD for inspiration, or trying to emulate an older game, I've found myself caught up in descriptions and verbage.

This all brings me to a point, I think ChicagoWiz made a long time ago. Maybe not so much that we need brand new, awe inspiring, ground breaking material, but that we don't need to retread. More so than retread the rules, we don't need to retread "What is a Role Playing Game?". I love e-zines, blog posts, and forums because they don't take time to tell me how to roll dice. They present new and interesting material, with the bits I actually need for play.

Out of all of the books I've bought, downloaded, and perused, so much if it is just the same stuff. Whether it's "How To Roll Dice" or more slightly different stats for Orcs. I know it seems hypocritical, and like I'm just complaining, but it's true. That's partially why I'm going to go back and "erase" my part of the crime, an attempt at amending my contribution to the drivel. More than complain though, this blog is going to become a place where I praise the unique ideas I find, and maybe share some of the quips I can come up with.

I know Microlite20 is kind of old news, but if you haven't checked it out, please do. Check out the site below for some awesome variations, and interesting rules interpretations.

http://www.retroroleplaying.com/content/microlite20-rpg-collection

3 comments:

  1. I do read your blog.

    I would like to say: don't delete anything. Just let it stand as a testimony to change.

    I like your thoughts on rules. The world doesn't need another retro-clone, true enough.

    But it does need minds that continue to share their own house rules and creative rulings.

    If you are a systematizer, then the world needs your particular system.

    Not so we can use it. But so that we can see how to do it for ourselves.

    Rock on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. It's nice to know someone actually reads this blog. Sorry I already deleted so much, but hopefully I can start posting some interesting material.

      Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. You are welcome:

    I also have a blog that no one reads:

    http://campaigns-playable.blogspot.com

    Only two posts so far!

    If I thought someone was reading, I would publish more!

    Anyway, thanks for your blog

    Peace

    ReplyDelete