Saturday, February 15, 2014

Attributes, and a Medieval Combat Campaign Idea

Something I do like about the d20 system, better than old school D&D, is the impact attributes have on game play. Coming from BRP, and doing Martial Arts (particularly HEMA), I like having attributes have a bigger impact on game play. When I'm playing Sword & Sorcery games, I don't like having attributes play a big part in the game. That's because, even the lower bonus from B/X D&D (+3/-3) that attributes provide really diminish other bonuses found in the game.

In OD&D a Ogres gain a +2 bonus from their Strength. That's a big deal. Likewise a magical sword grants a +1. In OD&D you'd need to have Ogre Strength, and a magical sword to get a +3 bonus. In B/X on the other hand, you can get that by rolling lucky, and it really changes the dynamic of game play. That +1 magic sword, is no longer a big deal, it's just another modifier you're trying to stack.

However I really like Germanic Mythology, Robin Hood, Arthurian Legend, and all of those other sort of down to earth proto-fantasies (or historical-fantasies). In those stories it's the character's abilities (attributes) that tend to make the difference. How strong was Beowulf? How cunning was Robin Hood? How charismatic was Arthur? For my game, I think I definitely prefer the +5/-5 range that the d20 system provides.

I might also dispense with the usual magic weaponry, instead merely calling them "tempered", "gothic", or "fine steel". A purely aesthetic choice I know, but it brings it closer to the fantasy I like. There will be magic weaponry, but they'll be more in line with Elder Scrolls, having "Fire Blades" and "Ice Steel", etc...

With either Wizards & Warriors, or perhaps a later project, I want to have combat focus more on the character's training, skills, and abilities. One of the things I enjoyed about 3E was feats, but not necessarily feats as is. I like Fighter types being able to pick small bonuses and abilities in combat. The complexity of feats, the rules attached to them however, aren't something I like. I already have a "Technique" system for Arcane Adventures I use, so I'll probably expand upon that.

Wizards & Warriors is already leaning towards being a more fighter based game, and I wouldn't mind expanding on that idea. I love Castles & Crusades and AD&Ds selection of weapons, several with a variety of special abilities or bonuses against different armors. It's still a relatively fresh idea and new game (not in the sense of being unique, but recent to my train of thought), so who knows what I'll turn it into.

What I would like to do is create a D&D variant that's focused on medieval combat. While not necessarily focusing on being realistic, just something that lets you play a pastiche of the late middle ages to early renaissance, with the ability to play a Landsknecht, to a Musketeer, to a Cavalier.

What might be cool is plundering some of the variant rules for the d20 system. For example I really like the Armor as damage reduction rules found in Unearthed Arcana (3.5), as well as the Armor Class bonus based on level and class. It goes into a discussion of how this affects game play, and there are some things I don't like about it (at least for D&D). A) It's complicated to implement with monsters (not necessarily difficult, but you'd have to convert any monster with armor). B) Especially with 3rd Edition (high HP values), it can drag out, what is already a really long, combat duration.

With a game focused purely on Medieval, person to person, combat these rules might work out pretty well, at least on a small scale (large battles could be a problem, particularly with my Warband rules). Combined with the large selection of feats available (which I may or not want to alter), and lots of supplement material focused on martial combat, this could make for a really fun and interesting campaign/game. Of course this would be for people who have an interest in such things, or enjoy heavily humanoid combat games.

Either way a lot to think about, and some fun ideas to work.

2 comments:

  1. I like this post. Really cool stuff.

    I also like Authurian legend, Robin Hood ballads, and Germanic mythology. I also long for more of that kind of feel in my OD&D. So this post gives me some good ideas.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like that kind of stuff check out Pendragon (the role playing game), also known as King Arthur Pendragon (KAP). If you're good at pillaging stuff from other systems you can add a lot to your D&D games. Or if you like playing different games from time to time, it's awesome at handling more historical style fantasy.

      Delete