Sunday, July 14, 2013

A Couple Genuine RetroClone Ideas

When I first got into D&D I was completely clueless about everything. I had no clue what editions were, or how retroclones worked. I just know there was an "Original" and that's what we played. When I discovered OSRIC I was amazed! Old School Rules Index & Compendium (IIRC). Of course I thought to myself "Oh how wonderful! Someone has taken all of the rules from all the old school versions of D&D and put them in one place!". Of course I was sadly wrong, not to say OSRIC isn't great, because it is, but I just didn't know back then.

Every once in a while, during my work on Arcane Adventures, I still think back to that idea. What if someone did collect all of the "old school rules" and put them in one place. Well this isn't really possible because there's so much of a difference between every edition, particularly with small rules, but that doesn't stop me from thinking up horrible ideas.

First what about an Advanced Dungeons & Dragon clone that took the rules from both 1E and 2E and put them in one spot. There would be some differences, for sure, but so much of it is similar and works together, it wouldn't be too far off.

You could do the same for Basic D&D. Of course that's even worse, because some editions give bonuses where others don't, etc. However if I did take somewhat of an Arcane Adventures approach to the task, you'd simply pick the best, most developed, and sensible rule perhaps.

For OD&D I'd love to stick all of the information from the Little Brown Books in one place. Several people have done this. I'd like to reorganize, however I don't want to change any of it. Then I could take the Swords & Wizardry approach and make a second book that includes either all of the OD&D stuff, or just an expansion with all of the supplement material.

 Why bother? Well perhaps not to make RetroClones or games that can be played, but to make an actual Rules Index & Compendium. It's an interesting thought at least to me. With Arcane Adventures I'm already somewhat doing this, however I do acknowledge I'm changing a lot of the rules, big and small. It'd be nice, if I'm on a retro-kick to play some unaltered D&D, but have all the rules for whatever I want to play in one place.

Thoughts anyone?


No comments:

Post a Comment