Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Dungeon Crawl Boardgame

More and more lately I've begun to understand the divide between games. I'm pretty sure I can make a game like I talked about before (I don't remember if I deleted the original post); one that captures the spirit of early computer role playing games (Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, Wizardry, Rogue, Nethack, etc.). I've come close to having a finished product several times, things just keep getting in the way. What I do think I can pull off rather quickly is a Dungeon! like board game, that has the ability to utilize the vast amount of material available for d20 D&D.

With a board game, I don't have to worry about being able to handle every situation, or have so much internal consistency or real world logic. I can use a bit more abstraction. It will still be fun, and it will give me my dungeon crawl fix. In doing research I've noticed a lot of guys turn to games like Dungeon!, DungeonQuest, HeroQuest, and even the D&D board games for the same thing.

Just some immediate thoughts I've come up with, is to handle traps via saving throws. The Thief will obviously get the best progression, representing his skill training. Traps will all be handled based on the Perception DC, and that's it. If the save passes, the character avoids the trap, if he fails, the trap is sprung. With attack based traps, there is no need to roll, damage is simply dealt.

Another option, since I'll also have to handle Surprise, and Perception, is to simply cut half the skills in the game. Either have a set progression for the "classes" or allow normal skill purchasing, with reduced points. If I do include skills I'm thinking Disable Device, Stealth, and Perception should cover most anything you'd do in a dungeon crawl board game. You'd be able to sneak away, spot hidden items/creatures, and disarm traps. I'd probably rename them Traps, Sneak, and Search/Spot.

One of the problems I have with 3E style play is multiple rolls. With traps for example you make a Perception Roll, Disable Device Roll, and then either an Attack roll or Saving Throw (sometimes both!). Three to four rolls to decide whether or not a trap harms your character. Hence why the above solution was to relegate it to a single "saving throw" style roll. With sneaking (to handle surprise) you have to make a Stealth roll, and the opponent makes an opposed Perception roll, and vice versa. I could relegate this to a single opposed roll, but then that requires the monster to have said skill, which brings me on to my next thought.

While I'd already have a much smaller stat block than standard d20 D&D, I hate having to have skills for monsters, even if it is only 3 (really 2) skills for them. I definitely prefer the old school method of having player characters work different then monsters. In the case of sneaking I could give it players only, as a sort of "check for a free combat turn" mechanic (of course I still need a DC). This would bring it inline with Dungeon! where players always attacked first. This wouldn't be so bad, as it will pretty much be a combat oriented board game, with players have several encounters per day.

It will definitely need random encounter tables and such. I'm thinking of making a d6 roll for every room, door, and hallway. In rooms hallways a roll of 1-4 is empty, 5 is a trap, and 6 is a wandering monster. In empty rooms a 6 means treasure, then another roll is made to check the container; 4 is hidden (maybe), 5 is locked, and 6 trapped. In a room with an encounter, treasure will be there 4+ (maybe), and will probably not be trapped or locked (maybe). For doors a roll of 4 is stuck, 5 is locked, and 6 is trapped. For the actual random encounter tables, the CR system is pretty nice and will definitely be useful in that regard.

That's all I have for now. Though something of interest, is my wife has given me dead lines. She wants me to have a playable product (of any sort) every Friday for us to play. Doesn't matter if it's an RPG or a board game. This is partly what's inspired this post. If it's anything good I'll be sure to share (to whoever might stumble across it).

No comments:

Post a Comment