Wednesday, September 18, 2013

My Dungeon Crawl Rules

I finally got to play test my 3E "dungeon crawl" rules that utilize the "d20 mechanic". I've got them to fit in a nice 20 page booklet, which I might make available if it's legal to do so (I need to recheck if any of it was lifted wholesale). Classes are extremely simple, as are races, and I've included a much simplified skill set.

There are glaring differences in play style from old school, however I'm not sure if it is due to mechanics, or my new play group. I've finally started going to my local gaming store, and a couple of the guys in my group are mainly 3.5/Pathfinder players. The good news is they love my rules, I'm not sure if they like them more than 3E, but they are extremely enthusiastic about them. The best part is they aren't asking to play 3E instead, and I've allowed them the use of any 3E books with my rules.
One of the players has really used that ability, and is using a class from Pathfinder (Oracle), and several feats from 3E.

As I said it's a very different style of gaming, it's much easier than strait old school, and characters are much more powerful. Furthermore because of it's similarities to 3rd Edition the 3E players are definitely focused on builds, and manipulating the rules for character creation. The system is definitely handling it well, and it's still no where as complicated or time consuming as 3rd or 4th Edition D&D. Overall I'd say I was successful in my goals, as it definitely feels like playing a video game, but it's still rules-lite and fast to play like OD&D.

Something that I love about my game is that anyone can play and have a good time. Whether that's because of rules, or despite them I don't know, but I do know that we're having fun. We've got old school players in our group that have never touched 3rd, we've got almost completely new players that played 4th once, and we've got experienced 3.5 players, and all of them are having a blast. More importantly, they are all getting to play D&D in a way they like; some are playing simple characters and role playing heavily, others are focusing on "builds" and using the rules to their advantage, and others still are just killing monsters and looting dungeons.

I may seem egotistical, and I'm sure I'm simply jealous because I've been working on this before D&D Next came out; but from what I've seen so far, this really is a game for everyone to enjoy. The biggest support to my idea is that at the table so far, I've been using a mix of OD&D, 1E, and 3E books to DM with; some of my players have been using 3E books; and yet another player is using a 2E book. We're taking what material and rules we like from those books, and getting the play the same game, at the same table together. Like I said, maybe we're having fun despite the rules, but I'd like to think that maybe there really is an essence to D&D, and we've managed to capture it.

Of course it's not news to me that there are gaming groups that have been doing this for ages. I'm simply codifying my methods for using all of that material together, and frankly I think WOTC is failing to do so. I've looked at next, and it doesn't look like it's going to accomplish any of the goals they're setting out to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment